Friends of the Laguna Beach Library

Throughout its 55-year history, Friends of the Library has played a vital role in the wellbeing of the Laguna Beach Branch of the OC Public Library: It has funded enhanced services, helped spread the message that libraries are important, and provided financial and volunteer support. 


Most recently the Friends worked along side the County of Orange to organize and raise funds to remodel our library, which hadn’t been significantly updated since the structure was built in 1972.  Many private citizens participated by donating funds and now can see the benefits: The library structure has freshly painted walls, new bright lights, and new clean carpeting. 


The Friends is currently focusing on improvements such as reframing historic watercolors that the Library or the Friends already own, a mural on the curved wall in the children’s section, and updating the furniture in the adult section.  A large assortment of new books, DVD’s, and audio books are also being added to the Libraries collection through funding provided by the Friends.


Today the Friends continue the tradition of collaboration along side of Laguna Beach community organizations, such as Laguna Outreach for the Arts.  (LOCA) has produced and donated two beautiful sea themed works of art to the children’s section.  The paintings compliment the new suite of modern and brightly colored children’s furniture so generously donated by Laguna’s own Draper family.   The Laguna Beach Garden Club also supports the library by add a little “annual” cheer to planters in the front of the library.

Laguna Beach Library
A Community Collaboration

2010
  • The Draper Family of Laguna Beach provides a generous check to the Friends to pay for all new children's section furniture.
Laguna Beach Independent News Article on the renovations, Click Here
2009
  • Library refurbished with new carpet and light fixtures
2006
  • $25,000 designated by Friends to promote reading, add books, and enhance services and facilities
2005
  • Major enhancement to building and surrounding landscape
1994
  • Friends help fund an addition, now the Fiction Room
1993
  • Friends subsidize staff and services for one day during County bankruptcy, while other branches were forced to close some days
1986
  • Friends Book Shop opens, operated by volunteers
1972
  • 10,000 square foot facility constructed at Glenneyre and Laguna downtown
1955
  • Laguna Beach Library Building Association becomes Friends of the Laguna Beach Library
1953
  • New 2,200 square foot library built on original site
1939
  • Reading room added and circulation reaches 60,000 volumes per year
1939
  • Reading room added and circulation reaches 60,000 volumes per year
1925
  • 1,000 square foot acquired on Glenneyre Street, near current library, for $2,500
1922
  • 1st benefit ever requires guests to wear costumes representing popular literary characters: 60+ books donated
  • Putnam Studio on Forest Avenue donates space
  • Leota Woy named 1st volunteer librarian
1921
  • Library Board formed by representatives of Chamber of Commerce, PTA, Community Club, Women's Club and Art Association
1920
  • Community contingent meets with the County Librarian to establish a local branch
1919
  • Mrs. Bafford opened a library in an alley storefront on Cedar Way and Jasmine Street and charges 1 or 2 cents per book per day for residents